Sunday, June 22, 2008

Great Gadsby

Here's another good hymn from the collection of Gadsby's Hymns. This one was written by Benjamin Beddome (1717-1795), an English clergyman who wrote a hymn per week to be sung following his sermon. By-the-way, none of the hymns in this volume have titles.

My times of sorrow and of joy,
Great God, are in thy hand;
My choicest comforts come from thee,
And go at thy command.

If thou shouldst take them all away,
Yet let me not repine;
Before they were possessed by me,
They were entirely thine.

Nor let me drop a murmuring word,
Though the whole world were gone;
But seek enduring happiness
In thee, and thee alone.

1 comment:

Liz said...

I feel funny leaving a great roaring LOL to your comments on my post, on your sacred hymn lyrics post....

I'll clean anyone's toilet (and house). :-D (for a price of course tee hee)