Thursday, June 19, 2008

Git 'R Done!

Staff meeting in the old warehouse
when the staff was about 2/3 the size it is now.

The president of my company frequently says that he will hire only people who can do at least five things. Because we're a small (but growing) non-profit (six employees when I started there four years ago, and now eighteen), it's true that sometimes we wear more than one hat. There may be a couple of people who juggle fewer than their requisite five tasks, but that's OK, because I'm pretty sure that I keep the law of averages intact. Here are roles that I have played lately -- some that I'm sure I was hired to do, and some that must have been in the fine print that I missed:
  1. Bookkeeper - accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, payroll & sales taxes, reconcile bank statements
  2. Human Resources Manager - get new employees enrolled in health insurance and departing ones removed, set up new employees in payroll system, review resumes and conduct interviews for an open position
  3. Network Administrator - Solve work station connectivity issues; reset servers, routers, and modems; install software and printers
  4. Customer Service Manager - Deal with orders that have fallen through the cracks (as well as the ones that were just plain wrong) and placate unhappy customers (I should point out that this is a tiny percentage of orders), assign and balance customer service workload among staff, resolve customers' payment issues
  5. Warehouse (including staff) Overseer - Check in periodically to make sure that orders are going out in a timely fashion; advise regarding shipping supplies; study, negotiate, and contract for new shipping system
  6. Equipment Repairwoman - Fix malfunctioning postage meter, attempt to fix jammed printer (sorry, Jane), instruct staff on microwave operation (it does have way more buttons than most, and it communicates entire paragraphs of information in its six-characters-at-a-time display)
  7. Purchaser - Buy computer monitors, office supplies, birthday cakes, and inventory
  8. Janitor - Run the carpet sweeper in my office and the VP's, remove the tank lid and jiggle various grungy parts to make the toilet fill with fresh water, put away clean dishes, wash and sanitize countertop (thanks for doing most of it, Liz) and lunch tables
  9. Consultant - Offer professional or shallow opinion on print projects, future events, logo-ed uniform selection and any number of other topics, whether invited to do so or not
  10. Umm... it's getting late, and I was up unable to sleep for two hours in the middle of the night last night. Although I had ten in mind when I started typing, the tenth role has escaped my brain. As I am about to fall asleep with my mouth wide open, start drooling over the keyboard, and short-circuit it or myself, the tenth role will be postponed until further notice. Consider it a rain delay, of sorts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have called me...I was also awake two hours last night...

Joan said...

I was up from 2 a.m. - 4 am. I sent Mama an email at 2, and she answered at 3:30. I wonder if Lynn & Jerri were up, too.

Liz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz said...

#10 - Substance (as in a noun)
You're the glue that keeps AV together, the oil that keeps the gears running smoothly and the brake fluid that keeps BV in line (occasionally valve leading to said brake fluid has leak and it doesn't reach him, but oh well, at least it tried). :)