Saturday, June 28, 2008

Braves Blast

The Braves game on the big screen in the Smyrna Market Village was great fun, even though the Braves lost. My friend (she says she's always anonymous in my blog, so I'll tell you that her name is Angi) and I managed to find a place to park our chairs that was nearly always shady. The screens were much more visible than we thought they might be in the middle of the day. I'll bet they're really great at night. The Tomahawk Team (don't call them cheerleaders) was there before the game shooting t-shirts out of the shirt-launcher gun and I snagged one. There weren't a lot of people there until the game started, and even then, not as many as we thought there would be. I tried to give it to a little boy, but his mom showed me that he already had one, so I gave it to a little girl about 6 or 7 years old. The drummers were there too. I think they are called the Heavy Hitters. They didn't bring the giant kettle drum that sits in left-center field, though. Angi and I were approached by a young lady who introduced herself as "with the AJC" (Atlanta Journal-Constitution, for any non-Atlantans). We thought she was going to try to sell us subscriptions, but she was a reporter who interviewed us for the paper. We don't know when or if it will be in print, so if you get the paper, please help us look. Alas, she had no photographer with her. There were some game-show type games before the baseball game started, and they were giving away prizes like Braves souvenirs and gift certificates to Smyrna Market Village restaurants and businesses. Between innings, they continued tossing out t-shirts and playing the games that you see at Turner field, like the Home Depot tool race and Braves trivia questions. It sprinkled rain a couple of times, but it felt good! If there's another game on the green in the future, Angi & I would definitely go again.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Cool - that would be fun. You're very nice to give your prize away - I was the child who always deferred to the crazed adult trying to get prizes being shot out of things or thrown up into crowds and it was always very upsetting inside. :)

Kristina said...

Can I beg you to do the Phillip/James post next?--after all, it IS my birthday! :) It sounds alot like my trip to Columbia from TN that ended me up in Charleston...