Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Sew-Sew

I like to make quilts -- wall-hanging sized ones, that is. To be more specific I like to plan them (I've never done a pattern or kit "as is"), choose the fabrics, piece the blocks, combine all the blocks together, and then quilt it all. Or some of it. Or at least get started. I don't like trying to get the three layers (top, batting, backing) all stretched and even and basting them together. And I usually get tired of the actual hand quilting before it's done. Here are pictures of the "fabric art" that I have in my home along with a bit of commentary on each.

This is one of my earliest creations. The pattern is called Dresden Plate.

My house has probably the ugliest fireplace mantle in the history of the world. Here's my mantle scarf solution.Log Cabin is my favorite pattern of all. I like scrappy quilts vs. the kind with just a few colors and coordinating fabrics and I like the fact that Log Cabin blocks can be set together in a variety of ways to create different effects. This one is a traditional setting.
This pillow cover that I made for our bedroom is also comprised of Log Cabin blocks, but the fabrics chosen and the way that the blocks are joined create a totally different look. This is absolutely my all-time favorite of everything I've done. (I didn't make the quilt on the bed; J.C. Penney did.)
My original intent was to make a quilt for James for our 25th wedding anniversary. The plan was to have 25 blocks, 5 x 5. It didn't get done in 2000. When I did finally get all 25 blocks attached to one another, I didn't like the square look, and since we were a couple of years past our 25th anniversary, I decided to add a 6th row of 5 blocks. So it became a 30th anniversary present! This is the largest quilt I've ever made, and I didn't think I'd ever finish it. It's what I call "nap-sized". It's about the size of the top of a queen bed. The pattern is called Rolling Rag Ball.Here's a quilted jacket I made starting from a sweatshirt. I made one of these for my Mom and one for Angi before I made this one for myself.
You've seen this one before. It was recently created for Angi's birthday.

I've made a few more that I've given away, including one for each of my grandchildren. Maybe Emily will post pictures of those for me since I didn't have any.

No comments: