Monday, August 25, 2008

Maniac Monday

Last week, I wrote a paragraph about some language usage that drives me crazy. Today, the theme is similar, but it particularly applies to the spoken language.
  1. "Thank you." "No problem." In case you are under thirty (forty?) and unsure, the appropriate response to "Thank you" is "You're welcome." If you are a native Jamaican or you are actually in Jamaica when you are thanked, then "No problem, mon" would be acceptable.
  2. "Let me ax you a question." If I placed my question on a chopping block, then you could certainly ax it if you chose. Since I can't recall ever spitting a question onto a chopping block, I would prefer that you ask me a question.
  3. "Where is the book at?" Superfluous, superfluous. "Where is the book?" is the correct question. When I was growing up, if my mother heard this question, her response was always, "Between the A and the T." I throw in that historical tidbit so that you'll know that some of my idiosyncrasies can't be helped; they're genetic.
  4. "I wish I would of thought of that." Would HAVE. Don't make me send you to my daughter for remedial grammar lessons. (Refer back to # 3 for genetics warning.)
  5. "Do you want some chocolate?" Some questions just don't even need to be axed.

3 comments:

Kristina said...

Adding to your list...

I will never let you borrow my crowns. But if you'd like to color with my crayons, sure.

The lieberry does not have books. The library does.

And you ask if you may have something, not state it as, "I can have some of that" in the form of the question.

Obviously, it's genetic.

Joan said...

LOL. I also forgot about the retail page, "Manager, please come to jury," when there's a customer who has a question about jewelry.

Phillip said...

Most of what I get at school is "(mumble mumble mumble) [expletive] (mumble mumble mumble)"