Friday, January 23, 2009

They Ain't What They Used to Be

Fridays aren't nearly so wonderful as they were before I retired. Most of today was spent scraping more wallpaper at my in-laws' house. The good news is that the bathroom is finished (the smallest of the three rooms I have to do), and I'm about 2/3 finished with the biggest room. My brother-in-law and I decided a few days ago that a particular wall cabinet in the kitchen that had been added after the fact needed to come down. It, and the associated base cabinet, were in the way, and there are gracious plenty cabinets without these two small ones. Neither of us had any tools with us the day we decided this, so today I brought some tools. Even though I was there by myself, I thought I'd see if I could take the cabinet down alone. I removed the trim on both sides of the cabinet and then looked inside to see if I could determine how it was fastened to the wall. I saw screw holes, but couldn't really see the screws there. So, I stood on my step-stool to get a closer look. When I actually held onto the cabinet, it seemed a little loose, so I wiggled it a bit and pulled, and down it came. Yep, I ripped the cabinet off the wall with my bare hands. It was attached with a few screws and a few nails, none of which were in a stud, and none of which went more than about an inch into the wall. It's a miracle the cabinet (once loaded with stuff) didn't fall down long ago.

No comments: