Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Bad Language - Part II

I got my new ultrasonic contact lens cleaner in the mail this week. I'm not sure where these things are manufactured, but it isn't where they wave the stars and stripes. Here's the description of what I got (verbatim): This product is the application of ultrasonic principium, which cleans out protein deposition coveried the surface of contact lenses rapidly and completely.

When in use, the unit is supposed to be filled with saline solution. At first glance, I thought they included a small sample bottle to get me started. Turns out it was just an empty bottle. Useless. I can't even sell it. On second thought, I decided to keep it in case I need to put an approved-size container of saline solution in my carry-on for air travel.
The operating instructions are loosely translated into English from an unknown native tongue. When operating an electric appliance, I am always (yeah, right) careful to read any safety precautions. Here are a few for this particular product (word-for-word):
  • Avoid the risk of fire & casualty.
  • Operating strictly according to the users manual.
  • Don't plug in absence of people.
  • Apart from heat, and place in a dry and flat surface.
  • In case of abnormal working, if the case couldn't work as normal, stop it.
  • Do not use tap water rinse the product, to avoid the risk of damage and creepage.

I definitely will watch that last one. I don't need any (more) creepage in my life.

The operating instructions are a bit better, with a couple of notable exceptions:

  • Remove the lens basket and use tweezers to put the left contact lens into basket which marked with "L", same as the right contact lens.
  • press "CLEAN", the green light on, which indicates the cleaning is ongoing. After 2 mins cleaning, the cleaner will automatically shut off. (Cleaning is over)

And so is this episode in translation interpretation.

2 comments:

Angi said...

Just keep your creepage to yourself, I have enough of my own!

Liz said...

HAHAHA! Creepage..... That's great. A new AV word....