Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Raining Cats and ... More Cats

It's not really raining here, although there is a slight chance tonight and tomorrow.

Seven years ago when we bought the house where we now live, it had a kitchen wallpaper border with pineapples on it. Now, I'm not a bit opposed to pineapples. I actually love fresh pineapple, and one of my favorite things about our 30th anniversary trip to Jamaica a few years ago was the fresh pineapple juice every morning at breakfast. And I understand that pineapples are a symbol of hospitality, originating in the Caribbean, when sea captains knew they would be welcomed if there was a pineapple at the entrance to the village. The problem with the pineapples on the wallpaper border was that they were orange and blue, and I have never seen an orange nor a blue pineapple. Nor a purple cow, but that's another story.

Be patient -- I am getting to the cat part.

I could not find a replacement kitchen wallpaper border I liked in any of the local stores, and although I'm fond of browsing through books of patterns at the fabric store, I'm not equally keen on browsing books of wallpaper. So my search turned online, and I found this wallpaper:
Later, I found this fabric and made my kitchen curtains.


That was the beginning of the cat collection. From time-to-time (filler when I can't think of anything else), I'll show you a cat or two in my collection. There's nothing fancy or particularly valuable in my swarm... flock... herd (what is the name for a bunch of cats?!), but I've always heard you should surround yourself with the things you love, so there.

3 comments:

Dave said...

It must be a herd of cats, because there are "cat-herders"

Joan said...

No, there are fools who profess to be cat-herders.

Anonymous said...

Exactly, hence the phrase "it's like herding a bunch of cats!"