Friday, November 7, 2008

I Love a Well-Written Song

There was a time when I hated country music. Mostly my whole life. My parents listened to this nasally, twangy stuff that was somewhat akin to fingernails down a chalkboard. However, a few years back, the only local oldies station went under, and I started listening to several country stations. Although I can't pick them all up in my house, I have four choices while driving, and now I listen to country music almost exclusively. One of my favorite singers, Craig Morgan, has a new song entitled, Love Remembers. Here are excerpts from the lyrics:
  1. You can forget what love was wearing when it walked out your front door... You can forget the kind of suitcase that was packed out on the sidewalk...
  2. 'Cause love remembers the smell of a summer day...
  3. Yeah, love remembers the sound of the pouring rain...
  4. 'Cause love remembers the taste of cotton candy lip gloss on the lips of a long kiss...
  5. Yeah, love remembers the feel of fingertips running through soaking wet hair...
Did you catch the references to all five senses in the excerpts?
  1. Sight (One would know the kind of clothing and suitcase visually.)
  2. Smell
  3. Hearing
  4. Taste
  5. Touch
A couple of years ago, I attended a Composers' Symposium, and as a result, my habit of analyzing lyrics became more acute. I was lying in bed one night when the five-senses motif of this song hit me. This was no accident on the part of the song writer. Pretty neat, huh?

3 comments:

Molly said...

Love that song! I listen to country as well. Oh, 106.7 is now oldies, in case you didn't know. It isn't as good as the old one, but not awful.

Joan said...

I have listened to 106.7. I can't get used to Spiff and Fred.

Molly said...

I know. I miss Randy.