Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Fry Baby

This is how I do the beach these days:

Let me explain. My mother is 1/8 Cherokee Indian. She, and two of my three sisters, can go to the beach for a week and come out looking like 7/8 Cherokee Indian. The other part of our ancestry is Scottish/Celtic. Guess who cashed in on that part when it comes to tanning ability? My sister says that I go to the beach and get "dark white." For years, I would go home from our annual vacation with a strange rash, mostly on my hands, but also on the tops of my feet and the tops of my arms near the elbow. Finally, a coworker took a look and said that she thought it was sun poisioning. A bit of Internet research brought me to the same conclusion. That, combined with the fact that I've had several pre-cancerous places removed from my face, convinced me to buy the beach canopy and stay under it as much as possible. I still enjoy the beach, in my own way.
We went shrimping and crabbing in the afternoon. Here's what my sister caught in her cast net -- a puffer fish. When we put him back in the water, he eventually deflated himself and swam along on his merry way.

4 comments:

EmilyV said...

Yes, and thank you very much for passing along your white skin and mystery beach rash to me. I have a very similar picture of me under a cabana on our last beach trip except that I was hugely pregnant.

Dave said...

Fortunately, it looks like Alexa got my skin tones to put an end to this mother-daughter curse.

Halyna said...

wooooo ability to tan! Weird how it takes a Canadian to pass that on... :)

Liz said...

no fair! I want to catch a puffer fish!!! That is so cool. We brought one home from Barbados. Slightly larger and more painful.

So it looks like you must be feeling better, which I hope.

I on the other hand, while feeling kind of yucky, am told that it is very very likely that Reese will be here by Monday. That would be nice. In any case.......Brandon and Jan had their's yesterday. I'm quite jealous. :)