Sunday, January 24, 2010

This Isn't It

If I were going to make a quilt for myself, this wouldn't be it. Yellow is one of my least favorite colors. But this is not for me. I made this quilt using 48 pre-cut 4" squares of pink fabric with the Breast Cancer awareness ribbon. Rather than piece the quilt, I sewed the squares to a single piece of white fabric, leaving a 1/4" edge around each block. Then I frayed all the edges. It's fun, but sort of time-consuming. Each square is quilted in a free-hand spiral that I like to call a honeybun. (Spirals are perfect; honeybuns aren't.)The white area is machine quilted in a stippled design, using a thread of varying shades of pink. I'm getting a little better at machine stippling, and I love the dense quilting and the puckery look once the quilt is washed and dried.The back of the quilt is a yellow fabric with pink and lavender butterflies and dragonflies. When I went to the fabric store to choose something for the back, I didn't really have a set idea of what I wanted. I was just looking for something that matched the pink of all the squares and the tiny bit of yellow that is in the one square pictured above. You can't tell from these photos, but there's a tiny bit of silvery sparkle sprinkled across the fabric as well.I made this lap-sized quilt (40" x 52") for a lady at church who is undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer. The thing is, I've never met her. Our church has around 700-800 members, so it's difficult to know everyone. But I sat next to her husband in the choir for a few months before he had to drop out when she began treatment. He was at church this morning, so I was able to inquire as to how her treatments are going, and give him the package to deliver. I included a note saying that I hope the quilt will serve as a reminder that God's people are covering her in prayer. What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!

2 comments:

lesthook said...

It's a beautiful quilt and I'm sure she'll love it!

Angi said...

It's beautiful - I am sure that she will cherish it and your prayers.