Monday, January 11, 2010

Getting Back into the Swing of Things

Here's what my life has been like for the last six weeks or so:
  • Thanksgiving dinner at my house (about 18 people).

  • A new grand baby born December 7 and keeping the older two children for a couple of days.

  • My step-father's hospital admission on December 8 and then visiting him 2-3 times a week.

  • Participating in choir rehearsals and our Christmas program on December 13.

  • Finishing making Christmas gifts, shopping, wrapping, and cooking.

  • About 16 people here for a Christmas party on December 19.

  • Christmas Eve dinner at my house for 21 people.

  • Visiting my step-father on Christmas Day and then being with the family on December 26th as he was moved into hospice care. Making the 90-mile round trip every day except one from December 27th - January 6.

  • His death on January 7. I went to be with my mother that day, accompanied her to the funeral home to make arrangements, answered her incessantly ringing phone and doorbell, spent the night, and drove back home the next day. (150-mile round trip)

  • Driving 75 miles back on Saturday for the visitation at the funeral home, spending the night, attending church yesterday morning, then lunch provided by the sweet and generous church ladies, followed by the funeral, burial, and then trip back to my mom's house. We finally got back home last night about 7 p.m.
So, this week I hope a semblance of normalcy returns. I managed to do a little bit of housework and laundry on Friday night and Saturday, but we have no food in the house, so that's on my agenda today. And rest. Tomorrow I go back to my once-weekly baby sitting. I've made plans with my mom to go to her house every Thursday, since she has known for some time that she needs to pack up and get rid of some household things as she looks for a smaller place to live. Her current property is a good many acres, and the upkeep has been difficult for the last few years. But those Thursday trips won't start this week, as we both need time to rest and regroup. And I am so eager to get back to sewing and quilting. I've barely touched my machine since Thanksgiving.


I bought this bundle of five one-yard pieces at a quilt shop near the hospice, and I can't wait to see what it becomes!

2 comments:

Angi said...

I saw a sign for a quilting shop on the way home Sunday - did you go there?

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

My condolences on the loss of your FIL. I'm doing home hospice for mine, it has been an experience of personal growth. I'm glad to be here, and I'm glad you were able to participate, painful as it is.