Monday, January 18, 2010

Christmas Quilt ... A Little Late

Continuing my catch-up of old stuff on my camera, here is the quilt I made for my mother for Christmas. It began with a Moda Simple Abundance charm pack, and the multi-colored blocks are disappearing nine-patch. Here are the nine-patch blocks that are then cut into quarters, shuffled up, and sewn together again. Here are the finished blocks. I
alternated the blocks with plain squares, then added a narrow red border and a larger border of one of the fabrics in the charm pack. The quilting is a free-motion stippled design, my first attempt at free-motion quilting on my new Janome machine. It is by no means perfect, but I think it turned out OK for a novice.
Here's the finished quilt that some might call "lap-sized" but I like to call "nap-sized," just right for snuggling, or for the back of a sofa. I'm pretty sure that I took photos of the back of the quilt as well, but I must have deleted them. The back is mostly three or four wide, solid, horizontal strips, but it also has a couple of small blocks of cat fabric, just for fun.
I really must learn to take more artistic pictures of my quilts, besides just laying them on the floor and shooting. Invariably, this is what happens with a quilt on the floor.

1 comment:

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Very nice quilt Joan. I like the disappearing squares but I guess a lot of the fabric disappears with the cutting and sewing too! Something I will have to try at some point.

P.S. Thank you for your lovely comments about my latest quilting project!