Thursday, February 5, 2009

Gaming: Caleb's Rules of Order

Caleb and I played Chutes and Ladders today. I thought that perhaps I remembered the rules from many years ago playing the same game with my children. It soon became evident that I was sadly mistaken. Here are the new rules (or the old rules as interpreted by a three-year-old):
  1. Choose a red, blue, yellow or green game piece. The fact that two are boys and two are girls is immaterial.
  2. Spin the spinner (the only step I could master).
  3. Move about that number of spaces in any direction you choose -- forward, backward, horizontal, vertical -- all are acceptable.
  4. If you land on a ladder, go up it. And the next ladder too, if you want.
  5. If you land on a chute, go down it. Repeat as desired.
  6. Keep taking turns and searching for where you last landed, because Alexa has rearranged the game pieces in the interim.
  7. Keep repeating steps 2-6 until Caleb moves to the space numbered 100 and announces, "Caleb wins!" at which time Alexa claps and squeals loudly.
Put the game away and move on to a new adventure.

2 comments:

Dave said...

LOL! You'll have to write rules to Candyland next.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've got those rules down!