Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The News is Out

A week or two ago I made a list of things I would do if I no longer worked full time. I had been thinking along these lines for six months or so, and thinking seriously for about the last six weeks. There never seemed to be enough time for me to do all the things I wanted or needed to do, and when there was time available, I was too tired. After a final agonizing week of gnawing the issue down to the bone, I decided to give it up. Working full time, that is. (For the record, James would have been happy if I had reached this decision a long time ago.) I went into work on Monday morning with my resignation letter in hand. Even though my boss keeps hoping it's just a bad dream, he made the announcement to the full staff this morning at our regular staff meeting. Although there were some feeble (and one vehement -- thanks, Liz) protests that American Vision couldn't function without me, the truth of the matter is that they did quite well for 25 years before I ever came on the scene, and I have great confidence that those in my wake will continue do well. And I'll be watching.
Footnote: My employment officially comes to an end on November 15th, although the 13th or 14th will be my last day in the office.

2 comments:

Molly said...

Well, congratulations!

Liz said...

Um Joan, you are forgetting. Yes, AV survived for 25 years, but that was WELL BEFORE Brandon!!!! Post Brandon, how will we survive without you?! That is the question that torments me. :-(

You approach things without being an emotional crazed female like so many emotional crazed females do in positions like yours - you're logical, analytical, problem solver, never appear frazzled or freaked and through it all, you're FUNNY! There is no replacement for you!

Waaaaaaaaaaaa!