Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Gas Gouging

I don't know what gasoline prices are like outside the southeast, but in addition to my home stomping ground, I have information from Nashville, TN and from Columbia, SC. Like here, gasoline is in short supply, lines are long, and prices keep going up. I haven't had too much trouble finding gas under $4 as I head west toward work. James heads east, and he's noticed that three out of four stations do not have gas and the ones that do are charging twenty to sixty cents more per gallon than stations out my way.

At least we didn't have to pay these prices.
If you happen to notice, the price shown is per liter. I made this picture when we were in Jamaica three years ago. If you convert the Jamaican dollar into US dollars and the liters into gallons, the price is about $3.50 per gallon. Although that seemed awfully high in 2005, I'd happily pay that in 2008!

5 comments:

EmilyV said...

Dave got gas with no line today. He said that's the happiest he's ever been to pay $45 for gas.

Halyna said...

up in ontario we're paying $1.14 per liter.. and that's low from what it was in the summer. this year we've been as high as $1.36-1.40/L. ...with about four litres to the gallon it was over $5 for the gallon.

at least we don't have line ups yet... just the nights before the prices were supposed to jump.

Dave said...

Translation: $1.14/liter is about $4.56/gallon

Joan said...

But what is it in Celsius?

Halyna said...

i knew that $1.14 was less than $5.. but it has gotten UP TO $5..

in celsius it would be too cold for you southerners. :)