Saturday, October 10, 2009

Sewing This Week

After I made my selvage purse, my youngest sister kept saying she wanted me to make her a purse. She said it didn't have to be as involved as mine; she just wanted a fabric purse. I saw this idea online recently and decided to give it a try, using a pair of thrift store jeans. I really like how it turned out, and I may make myself a similar one. Since the front waistband of jeans generally sits a little lower than the back waistband, that's how the purse opening is too -- with the front a bit lower than the back. Inside is a hidden velcro closing.The other sewing this week involved mending. It's my least favorite task at the sewing machine. There are too many creative ideas swirling around in my brain. Anyway, I hemmed a pair of pants for James. Since I bought them at an Eddie Bauer outlet store while on vacation back in July, it was about time! I also repaired some of Emily's maternity pants, repaired a mesh bag for laundering lingerie, and hemmed the lining of a skirt. The skirt as well as the lining are cut on the bias (I didn't make it) and the lining stretched more and was hanging a bit below the skirt. So, it feels good to have my mending basket empty for a while.

I *think* I'm finished quilting Jordanna's baby quilt. I'll let it rest a day or two and then see what I think. After that, the only thing left is the binding, and I'm undecided on that as well. I don't think I've ever made a quilt that was totally planned out, start to finish, before I began. All have just sort of evolved. I'm not ready for the final unveiling, but here's another sneak peek.

No comments: