Saturday, October 10, 2009

Facebook, Friends, and Family

I don't spend half my life on Facebook. If I participated in all the quizzes, games, "gift" swaps, and everything else out there, it is entirely possible to spend (or should I say "waste") a lifetime. I do enjoy seeing what my friends, family, and sometimes mere casual acquaintances are up to, and I enjoy throwing out a comment-provoking status every now and then. The thing I didn't anticipate is the "who knows who" out there. In Facebook, when you acquire a friend (by accepting an invitation or by having the friend accept your invitation -- and yes, I have ignored a few friend requests and blocked a few people) you are then able to see who your new friend's friends are. My first surprise came when I learned that my cousin is FB friends with one of Emily's childhood friends. Turns out they attend the same church. This week I added three new friends (total of 104). One is a childhood friend of mine. We were friends from 1st through the middle of 7th grade when her family moved to California. How many of you have a friendship that has endured for 47 years?! We've managed to keep in touch all this time, even by real letter writing before the computer age. In addition, I've added her sister to the list. My most recent new friend is someone I went to high school with. Imagine my surprise to learn that she is friends with the same cousin who knows Emily's school friend! My cousin gets around! Turns out all three of them attend the same church. Small world indeed!

No comments: