Saturday, October 31, 2009

Jordanna's Quilt

Baby Jordanna is due in about six weeks. This week I gave Emily the quilt I made for the baby. I've made quilts for each of the first two, and this time there were two things I did not want. I did not want to use pastels, and I did not want to make something that was just rows of blocks.
I believe I accomplished those two objectives. In a MAJOR way, even. Prints in the fabric include cats, dogs, frogs, watermelon, and musical notes. I found the zig-zag idea on one of many quilt blogs I read (I've forgotten which one). Most quilts that look like this involve piecing triangles, something I did not want to do. This one combines two rectangles into a square block, and then the rows are created diagonally. The other thing that made it a bit confusing is my use of a different solid color for each row. For the watermelon print (for example) I had to make half the watermelon blocks with green fabric and half with pink fabric.
It was a bit confusing at first to put it all together because it ends up with points hanging off each row, and you have to cut the points off to end up with straight edges.

I played with some of the decorative stitches on my sewing machine for this project too. It was fun!

By-the-way, Emily, I meant to wash the quilt before I gave it to you, but I think I forgot. (Washing by itself would be best.) Blinky fur wasn't supposed to be part of the gift.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice quilt!

Liz said...

NICE! Jordanna is a very pretty name, one of my childhood friends had a sister named Jordana.