Monday, August 9, 2010

Creating for a Cause

When we returned from vacation a few weeks ago, there was a note from my mailman requesting that I call him about making a couple more cards for him. I had very little time to create this birthday card for his daughter to give to her grandmother. (Given longer, I'm sure I could have come up with something better!)
It's a good thing I had a little more time on the second card because he wanted something with the breast cancer pink ribbons on it, and I didn't have any fabric like that. Rather than scour my county on foot (actually, I would drive my car), I went on Ebay and found something suitable. Although I had to buy an entire yard, with shipping, it was still just $6 so that was reasonable. Here's the card I made for him to send as an encouragement to a friend who is undergoing chemotherapy.
I'm also trying to remember and support a friend at church who should be nearly finished with her chemotherapy now. I gave her this quilt at the first of the year, and I've continued to send my handmade cards at regular intervals. I decided to use some of the remaining fabric to make a tote bag for her, and this is it.
Now you can see that I only used a small portion of the fabric's design for the mailman's card.

Here's a closer shot of the fabric and handle detail.
I didn't want to use the pink fabric for handles, because I only had enough to go crosswise, which would have looked weird. So I decided to use the green plaid that came in a fun box from Phillip and Lystra for the lining and handles. In order to make it look more like I really meant to use the green for the handles, I embroidered the hot pink flowers.

There is one interior pocket.
Since our mailman comes pretty late in the afternoon, I think I still have time to get this tote packaged up and out in my mailbox. Especially if I get off the computer now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the women on the bag!