Friday, August 6, 2010

Not Really My Thing

I don't think I ever showed you the picture of the vase of flowers I arranged a few months ago. Last December, I signed up to provide flowers in our church sanctuary on August 1 for our anniversary. When I began to consider how large the space is up front (the church seats about 1,200), and what it would cost to have a florist make something that large (probably $200), I decided that I would try to arrange some silk flowers myself. I happened to be at JoAnn's (a craft store) a couple of months ago when they were having a 60% off sale on some of their floral items. I grabbed a tall vase and started choosing flower stems to see if I could pull this off successfully. Here is how it turned out. From this first picture of the sanctuary, taken from the balcony, you can see why I wanted a large, tall arrangement. Anything smaller would be lost down there. Here are a couple of more pictures made before the service from the center aisle by my always-prepared-former-Boy-Scout husband.
The 50" height of the arrangement is a bit overwhelming for my smallish house, so I donated it to the church rather than bring it back home. Occasionally there are Sundays when no one has signed up to provide flowers, and so this one can be used again as needed. So, even though floral arranging is not really my calling, I think for about $45 this hits the mark, and I got lots of positive comments.

1 comment:

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

And it's great for those who have hayfever too! There's nothing worst than walking into a room with lillies in it. I don't know why they aren't used more often really, they look so real these days. I think you did a great job arranging them too. I'm rubbish with that sort of thing.