Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Quilt Wardrobe is Complete

The shirts were finished a few months ago, and now the pants are, too. You may remember seeing this quilt that I made for my mom from my late step-father's shirts.I also took all of his jeans (maybe eight or nine pairs?) and cut them into strips. The strips then became blocks.I chose this fabric for the back of the quilt.
Here is the finished top stretched out over the backing fabric, ready to be pin-basted. There is no batting because a denim quilt is quite heavy enough by itself.
Once the pins were in place, I used a large, curved needle to tie the quilt front to the back in the center of every other square. (Technically, this means that it isn't really a quilt at all.) Then it was time to sew the binding, which in this case, is the backing fabric turned to the front. This method is Blinky-approved.
Next, I used a seam-ripper to cut several slits in each of the roughly 300 seams! I really don't know how many individual seams there are. The quilt is seventeen by thirteen blocks for a total of 221. Each block doesn't have four unique seams since most of the blocks share three sides with other blocks. This is a math problem for my son-in-law. No doubt he's already figured it out in his head. I also used the seam ripper to punch at least a half-dozen holes in my finger, so I'm very glad that part is finished.

Finally, I took the quilt to the laundromat to wash and dry it in order to fray the seams. On purpose. That's part of the look. The quilt would have fit in my front-loading washing machine, but a commercial machine is recommended because they have lint filters, and a lot of strings are produced with the agitation. Here's the finished quilt (except for needing to trim some long strings that didn't let go.)
And here it is with a corner of the back flipped up.
Here's another reason (besides my sore finger) for being glad the quilt is finished. In addition to the strings left in the washer and dryer, they are all over my house! Here's where I sat to sew on the binding. You can't see a lot of them on the sofa, but trust me, they're there. And all over the floor. Everywhere. Thursday is house-cleaning day, so I'd better be prepared with a new vacuum cleaner bag... although I could get crazy and vacuum them up before then, but I'm not generally known for attacking any housework before its time.

2 comments:

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Well wasn't it lucky he had so many pairs of jeans? Your quilt looks amazing!! It sounds rather painful and I don't think I'd ever choose to work with denim like that. But it's all done now and I'm sure you are just enjoying it and all the pain will soon be a thing of the past.

Joan said...

My nephew and my son-in-law left their comments on Facebook, so here is the mathematical answer, in case you needed to know:

Patrick: ‎472

David: I concur with Patrick. Since he beat me to it, the only way to one up him is to give the generalized formula for it: the number of unique seams = 2 x length x width + length + width (in this case, 2 x 17 x 13 + 17 + 13 = 472)