Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Week in Review

I was so busy this week with work and stuff, that there's only one post for today and I only wrote it last night.

I think this was all the sewing I did all week -- one postcard, and I already gave it away.Here's the detail of the ribbon border.My garden is making progress although I still don't think the pepper plant will make it. I have 4-5 small squashes and one tomato cooking out in the 95-degree heat. But they seem to like it. (Unlike me.)

Here's a new "sandwich" I've been making and enjoying for the last week or so. I start with a tortilla (130 calories) spread with onion-and-chive cream cheese (35 calories per tablespoon, but I doubt if I use that much -- it's spread pretty thin).Then I add lettuce (negligible calories!) and roasted red pepper (about 20 calories).I missed photographing the next step, but I cover the entire top of the tortilla with four very thin slices of deli lunch meat (40 calories) and 1/2 slice of Swiss cheese that doesn't cover the entire top (about 70 calories). Then I roll it up* and cut it into two or more pieces. The smaller pieces make cute little pinwheels.Yummy, filling, and under 300 calories!
*Note: Spritzing both sides of the tortilla with water and letting it sit between two paper towels for 10-15 minutes will allow it to roll without tearing.

Finally, a week ago we were on our way to the assisted living facility where my in-laws live when James spotted a purple desk chair sitting out as part of a yard sale. I've wanted a chair for the sewing room but haven't found the right thing at the right price (cheap). We stopped, and I went and checked out the chair. It seem to be stable and intact. The main problem was that the fabric part was really, really stained and dirty. I inspected the way the chair was put together and determined that it would be possible to replace the fabric, so I inquired as to the price. $5.00. When I offered the lady a $10 bill or four $1 bills, she took the four ones and the chair came home with us. This week as I was measuring the seat and back for new fabric, it occurred to me to try and clean the chair first. If it didn't come clean, there was nothing lost but a little time and effort. I wish I had taken a "before" picture. Here is the "after." I'm not buying new fabric.

2 comments:

Angi said...

That will certainly pop with the green.

Liz said...

Dadgum! That thing looks brand new! Good find!!!!

I got a faded one of those push car toys (red and yellow... http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2308860) for $1. Works fine, who cares if it's faded!