Saturday, June 13, 2009

Tampa Trip - Baseball

I had a great time in Tampa last weekend visiting Phillip. After he picked me up at the airport, we killed a little time and then headed to Tropicana Field where the Tampa Bay Rays play. I didn't know anything about the team and didn't care too much who won the game, but I love baseball and the opportunity to see a different major league park. The week before I went, my first surprise was to learn that it's a domed stadium. Here's what it looks like from the road. It really does have a tilted roof.This really cool tiled walkway leads up to the main entrance where the startling line-ups are posted.The first thing that caught my attention inside was this water fountain alcove.This view as well as the game confirmed what I already knew: I don't like indoor baseball on astroturf.There's a "petting tank" of sting rays in right centerfield. The back side of the tank is accessible in a children's area. Phillip says it's the only major league live mascot that's in mortal danger from homeruns!The ceiling -- the roofline is higher behind home plate where there are several decks of seating and lower in the outfield where there is no upper deck.Before the game started, Phillip and I were able to walk all the way around the stadium. It seems very small compared to Turner Field. We had to laugh at the so-called "Party Deck" in the outfield. My picture was too fuzzy to use, but there are disco balls hanging in the concourse area, and the only "party-goers" we saw were at least 70 years old. We didn't stay 'til the end, but Tampa won the game, and it was fun.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Sweet! Nice stadium.