Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Postman Always Rings Twice*

That* may be the movie title, but I believe that my postman only rang the bell once yesterday. He said that he had noticed all of my fabric postcards going in the mail, and he wondered if I ever made them to sell. I told him that I hadn't, but I would! He said that his wife's birthday was coming up in April, and he wanted a card with blue eyes on it, and possibly birthday fabric. Well, I'm no artist (I can't even draw stick people), but I told him I would see what I could do about blue eyes. My solution for any simple pattern I need is to look for clip art. I did that several months ago when I made the church postcards for our pastors. I found several useful pieces of black line clip art, and used them as a pattern for these eyes: Pretty cute, if I do say so myself!

The second card he wants is a birthday card for his daughter who has an October 31st birthday. He wanted it to have pumpkins. Well, I knew that I have never bought any pumpkin fabric since I don't like orange. But, I thought I might have a few scraps that, if memory serves, I fished out of the trash can at my local quilt store. (I'm not proud.) He mentioned that his daughter is seven, but I wasn't sure if he meant that she is now seven or will be seven in October. So here's what I came up with:
Now what do you think I should charge him for these cards?

4 comments:

Molly said...

Very cute.

At least $5 each if not more. A card at the store that is way less fun runs almost that.

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

What a huge compliment for him to ask for you to make him cards. I'd give them to him for free. What a sweet man. I bet he would be a great advertiser for some future sales. You made such wonderful cards and they are so fun too.

Dave said...

I was also thinking at least $5.

Joan said...

Well, I charged him $3 each, and he seemed happy with that. I would charge $5 if I had envelopes for them. And Sarah, I didn't want to give them to him for free for fear that he'd keep wanting more freebies!