Saturday, March 13, 2010

Expired

Do you pay attention to product expiration dates? I pay attention. Whether or not to discard a product that is past its prime is considered on an item-by-item basis. Even food. It depends on what it is, how far gone the date is, and sometimes what it smells like! We haven't expired yet by consuming anything expired. Recently while cleaning the bathroom, I used up a bottle of bleach, rinsed the bottle, and smashed it up a bit for the recycling bin. That's when I noticed this: Yep, the bleach expired five months ago. Now really! How can bleach go bad? (Unless you mix it with ammonia, which is never, ever to be done. Trust me.)

Clothing doesn't expire, but if it did, my cotton, long-sleeved, favorite tee-shirt type Lands End nightgown is oh-so-close. Here's what it looks like: (It is very difficult to take a good picture of your own shoulder. Try it sometime just for fun.) There's another hole in the front, and what used to be a very pretty blue is sort of a faded, yech non-color. I must admit it is exceedingly soft and comfy, though. I was happy last week to find a replacement on clearance. And to sweeten the deal, I had a free shipping code.Ah, this one looks much better. I'm sure I'll get several years of wear from it, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I think expiration dates like on the bleach are put there because they're hoping you'll throw it out and buy some more.

Liz said...

Ahhh you make me laugh.