Thursday, March 11, 2010

AWOL

So I've been AWOL for nearly a week. Actually, I think I could have gotten sick leave approved if I'd bothered to complete the paperwork. I'm not much into paperwork these days though.

I have the shirt quilt sandwiched together and I've begun the [machine] quilting. It's not visible in these pictures, but my dining room furniture is shoved against the wall in order to make enough floor space to work on this 7' x 7' quilt.

I started by laying the backing fabric on the floor and taping it down with painter's tape. Then I spread out the batting on top if it. I was thankful that Blinky decided to stay out of my way. She doesn't get many opportunities to be in the living room/dining room, so she took advantage of a little sofa time. I should have known that it wouldn't last. Anyway, after I laid the pieced-shirt-quilt-top on top of all this, I put pins around the outer edge, and then spent the better part of two days on my hands and knees (alternating with my behind when my knees complained) hand basting the layers together. We were keeping Caleb and Alexa Saturday afternoon, and I had to have the dining room table to feed their whole family and us on Saturday night; so, to keep from having to start over, I had to finish the basting in two days. Not to mention that I was not feeling well on Friday, and by Saturday I knew that I was sick. (Note to self: Do not do this again -- start basting a large quilt when sick and the dining room will be needed in two days. Dumb, dumb.) Anyway, that task is over and I've done a tad of quilting, which is just straight lines about 1.5" apart, on the diagonal. So far, so good.

2 comments:

Molly said...

Remembering my least favorite parts of quilting reading this post......maybe I'll rethink my project for awhile. I do have to do less basting since I quilt by hand, but still. HATE basting.

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

I just super pin it all together and it's fine. I am lazy so would never go to this much trouble!

Nothing like a bit of pressure to get the job done either!! Poor you. At least the cat was trying to help you.