Friday, March 5, 2010

It's Flimsy

The quilt for my mother, made from my late step-father's shirts, is coming along, and is now officially a "flimsy." According to Mr. Webster, when flimsy is used as a noun it means, "a lightweight paper used especially for multiple copies; also, a document printed on flimsy." Well, in the quilting world, a flimsy is a quilt top -- no stuffing, no backing, no binding yet. I chose the green companion fabric because I thought all the blues and grays would be boring otherwise. The green also coordinates with the backing fabric that I'm not revealing yet.

This quilt is by far the largest project I've ever attempted.

Yep, seven feet by seven feet. My desire is to make it fit a queen-sized bed so that Mama can use it that way if she chooses. And I use the word "attempted" because I still have miles to go before I sleep. Or rather before Mama can sleep under this quilt.

2 comments:

Angi said...

Beautiful! I know she will love it.

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Oh what an accomplishment! Im sure she will love it too. It's a really lovely idea, filled with wonderful memories. These really are the best sort of quilts.