Saturday, May 2, 2009

Saying Goodbye to Some Old Friends

I finally decided it was time to get rid of the three.... um maybe four bins of too-small clothes I was keeping in the basement. There were a couple of size 6 (and I really wore them about 8 or 10 years ago), a good many size 8, and more. The chances of me ever being a 6 or 8 again are zip, nil, zero, except in the case of some body-wasting disease, and if that happens, what I'm wearing will be the least of my concerns. But it was hard to part with a few garments that I really loved. Here's a jumper I made (screams big-hair 80s/90s, doesn't it?) that I wore all the time. Sometimes I wore it with a red t-shirt, and sometimes with a white, short-sleeved blouse. When I wore the blouse, I had a cherry pin that I wore at the neck over the top button.Big sigh. I decided to cut up the jumper and keep the larger pieces of chambray fabric. Cherries will likely appear in one of my quilts some day. I loved this sweater, too. The buttons look like goldfish crackers.And this navy, knit pants outfit is right up my cat-motif alley. I think Blinky likes it, too.Not to mention this blouse. And I don't even remember the Elmo sweatshirt.These wash-worn shorts go back to when the Braves were doing their worst-to-first thing in the early 90s.I read on a home-organization blog that if you have clothes that you know you won't wear again, but you have an emotional attachment to them, you should make a picture and keep the picture instead of the garment. Here it is for all of blogdom. Fare-thee-well, languishing in the local thrift store until you are sent far overseas to a third-world country.

3 comments:

Angi said...

I remember most of those clothes - does that mean it is time to get rid of me too?

Joan said...

Nah... you're a keeper. You were with me when I bought a lot of those clothes!

Liz said...

LOL to that last part. But I completely understand..............I STILL will not get rid of the size 2 plaid turquoise skirt I was wearing when Joe kissed me for the first time. Even though if I had 2 I could make shorts! Sigh.