Saturday, May 30, 2009

Not Ready-to-Wear

Here's a warm-season church dress that I really like, although I never really liked the jacket that went with it.The original jacket was made from a peach-colored crepe, and it had iron-on interfacing that shrunk the first time it was washed while the jacket fabric didn't. I was continually trying (with an iron) to make the front of the jacket lie flat. Finally I gave up and tossed the jacket. After a fruitless search for something to take its place, I decided that I'd make one. Here's the fabric I found (the only thing in a matching color) and the pattern I will use, specifically, the collarless version that's hot pink in the picture. Except for a couple of vests, I haven't made myself anything to wear in years, so I decided it would be prudent to make a test garment, generally known as a "muslin" since it is generally made out of muslin. I didn't have the necessary yardage of muslin on hand, so I used this inexpensive fabric purchased several years ago when the Joann store closed.It took very little time to stitch together since I didn't do all the facings and lining that are required in the real thing. It fits just fine, although I think I'm going to shorten the three-quarter sleeves to regular short sleeves. Since the jacket is lined, I think it will be too hot otherwise. The final version closes with one snap at the top, and it will have a single decorative button. But a diaper pin works just fine on my muslin.I'll show you the finished product down the road, and I'll find someone to make the picture for me.

No comments: