Thursday, April 1, 2010

Regifted?

Last summer, a friend, wanting to share the wealth, offered me some fabric that one of her friends had given her. Since I was one of the last to take her up on the offer, there wasn't a whole lot of left that I would use, but I did grab several pieces of lightweight, cotton upholstery fabric. Monday it dawned on me that I needed a wedding shower gift, and I needed to take it to church on Wednesday (if I wanted to avoid an extra 32-mile round trip) since I wouldn't be able to attend the shower on Saturday. I pulled out an apron pattern that I bought on sale for ninety-nine cents (I would never pay $12.95 for a pattern!), and started looking at the fabric I had on hand for something suitable. My stash consists largely of fat quarters, a few half-yards, remnants, and scraps, so there weren't many choices, and I needed two coordinating fabrics. Voila! The upholstery fabric! I prewashed the fabric, dried it, and then went to work. Here's the results -- a very nice apron, if I do say so myself!
Front detail -- the buttons are from my button jar. The color on this is truer-to-life than the full picture.Pocket detail (The pocket and flap are really straight -- it's just the way it was hanging. I didn't have a model handy -- sorry.)Back -- since the lining is also the plaid fabric, I placed a (very wrinkled) pillowcase behind the straps to improve visibility.
And the label inside the bib. (I wish my machine's monogram feature had variable sizes. This is a little large.)

2 comments:

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Brilliant!! Bet she loved it too. Aprons are such useful gifts and one so beautiful is sure to be well used. I just worked out how to use the lettering on my machine this week, isn't it amazing?

Anonymous said...

Very pretty!