Monday, April 5, 2010

It's a Wrap

I finished the quilt made from my late step-father's shirts last week and gave it to my mother.
Here are some of the shirts along with a green accent fabric and the World War II vintage airplane fabric that I chose for the back.
While I was cutting some of the shirt into strips, Blinky made sure the rest of the shirts didn't go anywhere.
I sewed the strips together and then cut them to make rows of blocks.
Here is the finished top.
I didn't have enough of the airplane fabric for the back, so I went through my stash and came up with this checked fabric.
Finally, here are some pictures of the finished quilt. It doesn't look so good with the daisy dust-ruffle on my guest bed, but it's not there any longer since my mom took it home with her. Also, you've heard of a disclaimer; well here's a "claimer" -- Wavy lines are exactly as they appear. It's not just the photos that make them look that way. I was trying to quilt in straight lines, but this was just too big a project to do without a frame. All the pushing and pulling resulted in way-less-than-straight lines. But overall, it looks OK, Mama was pleased, and I'm not planning on entering the quilt in any competitions anyway.

2 comments:

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

You did it!!!! And it looks absolutely fantastic, it really does. I'd be very pleased to have such a wonderful quilt especially one filled with so many memories. What a lucky mum you have.

Liz said...

Very very tastefully nice. A classic quilt, with a very special meaning behind it. That's really really attractive.