Saturday, July 11, 2009

Another Selvage Purse

I said I wouldn't do it, but I did. I made another purse from selvages. This time, the purse is a bit smaller, and there's far less detail on this one than on the one I made for myself. Even so, I estimate that there is an investment of twenty hours of labor.

Here are the blocks that I started with.Blinky watched from a peculiar angle. At least she wasn't playing the game of trying to catch the thread that's unwinding from the spool as I'm sewing..
When I made the first purse, I started with squares of selvages that I had made with no particular purpose in mind. This time, I knew I was making a purse, so I made the blocks rectangular instead of square. I also chose particular selvages, working from dark in the center to lighter on the edges, knowing that I was going to surround the blocks with black fabric. This time, I did far less ripping out and restitching due to the fact that I got smart and basted the seams first to check for accuracy. (What a novel concept! I've been sewing for so long that I hardly ever baste anything anymore.)

Here's the finished purse, along with some of the detail.


If you're interested, it's for sale in my Etsy shop. I give a Family and Friends discount.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Very nice! Looks like Blinky likes it....