Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Win-Win

I love baseball, especially the Atlanta Braves. I've been following them for roughly forty years, through the dismal 1970s and 80s when they usually were mathematically eliminated from being contenders by the All Star break, into the exciting 1990s when they won a record fourteen-straight championships (most straight by any pro sports team -- not just baseball), and into the new millennium.

I also love to sing, and I've been a part of various choirs for longer than I've been a baseball fan. Currently, I sing in the choir at Midway Presbyterian Church. On Monday, my two loves were combined as my church choir sang the national anthem at the Braves game. We submitted a recording to the Braves about this time last year, and at the start of the season this year, they called to invite us. August 30 just happened to be the date that worked for the majority of choir members.

This is uncharted cyber-territory for me, but hopefully there will be a You Tube link here that will let you see and hear our rendition of The Star Spangled Banner.



Singing at the game itself was not uncharted territory for me. Back in the late 1970s, I sang in a community chorus that was invited twice to sing. That was back in the old Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, so this was my first time to set foot on the grass of Turner Field. The Braves won the game, 9-3, and a good time was had by all.

No comments: