Monday, December 7, 2009

Out With Old

I never liked the fireplace mantle in this house. It was supposed to look like a rough-hewn piece of wood, but to me it always looked like a scorched, rough-hewn piece of junk. I kept it covered with a quilted mantle scarf that I made. When we got the plasma TV, we hung it above the mantle, but it was really too high. Sometime this year (boy, doesn't it fly!) we took the mantle off and lowered the television. I would like to lower it some more, but that is still being discussed around here. When he'll listen to me. Anyway, without a mantle, I had no place to put the stocking hangers I formerly used. They were "gold" and spelled out N - O - E - L. Here's my new solution. The stockings are "still hung by the chimney with care."
I made these stockings the first year James and I were married, and they originally said "James" and "Joan" in red felt letters. I took those off when the children came along, and made their stockings in a green stripe. I wanted green pom-pom fringe on theirs, but I couldn't find any nearly thirty years ago. I'm not sure if this photo will enlarge, but across the toe, the girls' stockings have a bit of lace, and the boys' stockings have rick-rack. I traced the shape of the stocking from the one given to me by my great-grandmother when I was a child.
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

No comments: