Sunday, April 26, 2009

A God Like No Other

I haven't shared one of my hymns in a while, so I thought I'd do that today. I haven't written anything in a long time, but an idea was swirling around in my brain last night as I was drifting off to sleep. Stay tuned to see if it finds its way onto paper and into blogdom.

A God Like No Other

Meter: Common Meter (8.6.8.6.)
Tune: Martyrdom (Alas! And Did My Savior Bleed)


Was there ever a God like this
Who left His heav’nly throne?
Abandoned riches, joy, and bliss
To make the earth His home.

Was there ever a babe like Him
Who chose His mother’s womb?
Who knew the cup He came to drink,
By violence, meet the tomb.

Was there ever a man like Him,
Full mortal, divine Son?
The One in whom no guile was found,
Perfect, obedient one.

Was there ever a love so great?
He suffered and He bled.
The curse of God’s wrath for man’s sin
Heaped on His sinless head.

Was there ever a mighti’r power?
He burst forth from the grave.
Defied the foe, crushed sin and death
For those He came to save.

Was there ever a God whose grace
Could cover all my sin?
My works are filth, my love a fraud;
But His love took me in.

All glory, laud, and honor be
To Him! Exalted high!
There is no other God, but One,
And Him we magnify!


Soli Deo Gloria
Joan Jordan
© 2005

No comments: