Saturday, September 5, 2009

Work and More Work

The folks at American Vision called me last week and asked for my help. For years we've been trying (without success) to integrate the online store with QuickBooks, the software that pretty much manages all aspects of the ministry (sales, inventory, donations, financials, etc.). The president and vice-president were in agreement that it was time to scrap all that, and find another way, which they asked me to do. I spent some time studying and testing options, then I went into the office on Monday, spoke with all the worker bees and explained the changes to the way the system would operate, and then set about trying to bring order to over two weeks (or ten months, take your pick) of backlogged chaos. In short, my work-at-home hours have been averaging 6-8/week. Last week, I worked 28 hours, some of them doing hard time in the warehouse. I don't mind, though, since I have my eye on a $1,200 sewing machine! Next week I will only go into the office on Wednesday. Monday is a holiday, Tuesday is babysitting day, and I'll need Thursday and Friday to get ready for the 90th birthday party on Saturday. I'll have another couple of months of extra hours, although a good many of them will be from home, until my work routine should settled down to about 12-15 hours per week of off site work.

So, not much sewing happened this week, although I did get the borders attached to the baby quilt. No pictures are forthcoming until it's finished. I still have to layer backing, batting and top, then quilt it and attach the binding. It's a good thing I still have three months to get it finished.


Finally! The peppers are starting to ripen. I don't remember what kind of plant I bought, only that they are sweet peppers and that they would turn orange when ripe. I thought maybe they'd go from green to yellow to orange, but nope. They're going straight from green to orange. It's hard not to pick them now, but I'm trying to wait until they're completely orange. We're now harvesting more tomatoes than we (I) can eat from our single plant, and that's with some critter still munching them. Fine. You have some, I have some, and there's still a surplus. BLTs on the lunch menu today.

No comments: